Which animation/modelling software works best?

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Hi folks,

since I got several problems with XNAnimation, I was wondering which animation/modelling software and exporters work best with XNAnimation?

So far I used 3Dsmax 2009 with the new 2010 fbx exporter from autodesk, problem is that no animation clips are found in the SkinnedModel after all, seems like all is saved into one "take" and cos XNAnimation skips the first take its completely useless.

Motionbuilder 2009, problem is that animations got completely screwed up, or only some limbs of my character are animated others are completely ignored, or glitches(wierd positions of limbs) occour for some frames. Works a bit better than 3dsmax since it can export several takes but too many other problems.

So which software do you guys use?

Is there any program which can export an animated model, out of the box, which works like it should with XNAnimation?

Its very frustrating, I got several really good animated models which I want to use but nothing works like it should.

thx Grobi

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Hey Grobi,

I have the same problem. Up to now I haven't found any software to do this. for doing aniamtion I used poser6 but exporting to xna work only wthout skeleton.

Do you have found a software that works well? For Example we must find out,  tiny.x was built with.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:32 AM

I have been using Blender 3D with XNAnimation.  If you can get past the weird Blender interface, it does actually work out of the box with XNA and XNAnimation in particular.  It has an option to export the model as an fbx file for XNA.  It can include animations as well (I have those working too).

Best of all, Blender is a free download.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Hey,

I use Daz3D. When using own animations it works well. The predefined aniamtions an poses cause errors  (28.03.10) Maybe these problems will be fixed soon.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Check out http://xnanimation.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=54788

Important notes:
* The imported file must be in it's bind pose!
* When saving the exported file, it must be in bind pose
* Before saving, plot animation to skeleton and delete control rig

This occurs mostly to other game engines as well ;)

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

kwxport works to, just have to do some settings. A lot easier to handle the animations.