Use custom effect

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM
Edited Mar 31, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I have XNAnimation integrated into my project. It draws and animates the models fine using the following in my Draw() loop

foreach (ModelMesh modelMesh in skinnedModel.Model.Meshes)
            {
                foreach (ModelMeshPart meshPart in modelMesh.MeshParts)
                {
                    SkinnedModelBasicEffect basicEffect = (SkinnedModelBasicEffect)meshPart.Effect;

basicEffect.World = world;//Matrix.CreateRotationY(this.Rotation);// *Matrix.CreateTranslation(5, 0, 0);
                    basicEffect.Bones = animationController.SkinnedBoneTransforms;
                    basicEffect.View = camera.View; //cameraView[activeSkinnedModel];
                    basicEffect.Projection = camera.Projection; //cameraProjection;

// OPTIONAL - Configure material
                    basicEffect.Material.DiffuseColor = new Vector3(0.8f);
                    basicEffect.Material.SpecularColor = new Vector3(0.3f);
                    basicEffect.Material.SpecularPower = 8;

basicEffect.NormalMapEnabled = false;//enableNormalTexture;

basicEffect.SpecularMapEnabled = true;//enableSpecularTexture;
                    //basicEffect.SpecularMap = specularTexture;
                    //if (enableSpecularTexture)
                    basicEffect.Material.SpecularColor = new Vector3(1.0f);

// OPTIONAL - Configure lights
                    basicEffect.AmbientLightColor = new Vector3(0.1f);
                    basicEffect.LightEnabled = true;
                    basicEffect.EnabledLights = EnabledLights.One;
                    basicEffect.PointLights[0].Color = Vector3.One;
                    basicEffect.PointLights[0].Position = new Vector3(100, 100, 100);

//Shader_Toon.ToonEffect.Parameters["Texture"].SetValue(Materials[meshPart].TexMeshPart);
                    //meshPart.Effect = Shader_Toon.ToonEffect;
                    //Shader_Toon.ToonEffect.CommitChanges();

}
                modelMesh.Draw();
            }

This code works good, but what do i have to do if i want to add a custom effect to the model?? Like in the last 3 lines of code i tried to add a Toon shader effect to the model meshpart. This used to work, but now i get the following error when i try to run this code:

Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Effect' to type 'XNAnimation.Effects.SkinnedModelBasicEffect'.

So obviously i cannot just add other shader effects to the model. I'm sure there's a way to do it, i just don't know how. So could someone please help me out with this??

Thanks in advance.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM
Edited Mar 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM

If i just use my shader effect and comment out the SkinnedModelBasicEffect then the game runs, but my model isn't drawn.

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I would like to know this aswell. I added shadercode to the SkinnedModelEffect.fx file and tried to change some Parameters in the same foreach loop dat nofx posted. But since my code is all in the SkinnedModelEffect.fx file i used basicEffect to alter the variables in the shader. But why can't i directly change the values of it like so:

basicEffect.Parameters["World"].SetValue ( world );

Why can't i do it directly like that...???