Exporting Multiple Animations with kW

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I have a character that I am testing out.  The character is a skinned mesh using biped and Skin modifier. 

I animated a generic breathing motion for 38 frames (1-38) and then a simple walk cycle from frmaes 40-70.

If I export the mesh out using Export then the .X file crashes.  If I select just the mesh and 'Export Selected' then I get an error -

"Error 4 Vertex is bound to bone "Punk_Pelvis", but this bone is not present in the skeleton."

I am assuming this is because using 'Export Selected' then I'm not actually exporitng the skeleton at all?

I'm a noob to the XNA pipeline so any help would be awesome.  Below are my settings:

kW X-port:

Checked - Export Normals, Export Tangets, Make Y Up, Flip Winding, Export Skinning, Export Materials, Copy Textures, Export Animation

Animation - Walk Start 40, Len 30, Stretch 1, Idle Breathe Start 1, Length 38, Stretch 1

Developer
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Your problem is that you are using a Biped for your model. You must convert it to bones/dummies for the X exporter to work. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM

Weird, b/c I got a simple walk animation to export out of Panda with Biped just fine.  Is there an easy conversion process or do I need to make my own custom rig?

Developer
Dec 24, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I think the easiest way is to export to FBX/COLLADA, reimport into MAX and the to X.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM

r2d2rigo: Here's the scoop on this:

You were assisting me with the XNAnimation product in another thread. At first, we were not able to get the XNAnimation Model content type to even compile the model. It would fail. At the time you recommended KW-X, and it worked flawlessly. We were able to take the Biped animation of the model, export it, and had a simple walk sequence working on our model loader.

I then challenged sonnreign to create multiple animations per model, and this seems to be where the problem lies. Once he created more than one animation we either get crashing or an error (as was in the original post). I wanted to clarify that we were never able to get the Panda biped w/ animation to work.

I've looked at the XNANimation library where you transition between animations and it seems to make sense. We're curious as to the actual model creation process, however. Thanks!

Developer
Jan 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM

All the animations are stored continuosly in the timeline of the model and then splitted via a XML file. Try copying the keyframes from your set of animations and pasting them in a master file. Or as a last instance, export to an ASCII format and stitch manually the different animations.