Is the 'dev' branch supposed to work?

Developer
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I pulled down the source and opened up the VS2010 sample solution from the dev branch - lots of broken references, only the 1st sample actually runs - the rest complain about not being able to load the spritefont (very odd error - all the projects reference the content project but only the 1st one only compiles it).

I'll try getting another clean fetch but I'm a little unsure what happened here. The downloads page still says for XNA 3.1/VS2008 only.

Developer
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Yes, it should work, although the WP7 versions are untested and possibly broken. Your problem is because the multiple projects referencing the same content confuse Visual Studio and the compiled content only gets copied to one output directory; the only workaround I've found so far is to unload all projects except the one you are working in. I think this comes from upgrading the SLN and CSPROJ files, and someday I'll try to regenerate them from scratch to see if this annoying bug gets squished.

And the spare updates are directly commited to the dev branch (never checked-in bad code, FYI), when they reach enough maturity are propagated to release and moved to the downloads section.

Developer
Mar 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Interesting 'issue' I'm pretty sure I have had content projects referenced by multiple projects but they have always been different platforms so maybe you do have an XNA bug. I did find it hard to think you would check in something that didn't work.

If i get time this weekend I'll check the phone projects for you (I finally have hardware woo hoo) and see if I can fix the content issue too.

Developer
Mar 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Well, the remaining work in the WP7 version can be done in the emulator :P The problem is changing the pipeline so it skips all the custom material/shader/etc and just uses XNA's SkinnedModelEffect. Tried it a long time ago but annoyingly it failed while trying to process the textures, so just moved to another task and leaved it as is.

I'll try to spend some time in the project as soon as I can, real life is being a bitch lately and I don't have enough time even for sleeping!
Developer
Mar 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I'm mostly working with sgMotion these days which was forked from you a good while ago and changed quite a lot to support sunburn materials instead of the XNA ones. We're not making major changes to that one - i came back to look in the hope that you had got additive blending added sicne they forked.

I'm also moving Mercury particles to 3d at the same time... too many things to do. So dont rush any changes on account of me.

Developer
Mar 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM

It turns out to be a bug and coincidentally was talked about today in the forums

http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/78007/474314.aspx#474314

The workaround is to make a library project and reference the content from there. Then reference that library in each of the demo projects.

Developer
Mar 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM
Nice! I'll give it a try tonight and upload the changes.