This project is read-only.

Biped support

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Im trying to import an animated model using biped, but I get this error when I switch to your content processor

Error    1    Building content threw ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: skeleton
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Graphics.MeshHelper.FlattenSkeleton(BoneContent skeleton)
   at XNAnimationPipeline.Pipeline.SkinnedModelProcessor.Process(NodeContent input, ContentProcessorContext context)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.ContentProcessor`2.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.IContentProcessor.Process(Object input, ContentProcessorContext context)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAssetWorker(BuildItem item)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.BuildAsset(BuildItem item)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.BuildCoordinator.RunTheBuild()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Pipeline.Tasks.BuildContent.RemoteProxy.RunTheBuild(BuildCoordinatorSettings settings, TimestampCache timestampCache, ITaskItem[] sourceAssets, String[]& outputContent, String[]& rebuiltContent, String[]& intermediates, Dictionary`2& dependencyTimestamps, KeyValuePair`2[]& warnings)    C:\Users\Pablo\Desktop\Illumina\Source\Illumina V0.4 (Advanced Camera)\YumBotic\Content\Models\Character\char.X    YumBotic

any ideas on what this might be?
Jun 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM
You are getting this exception because no bone was exported, so when the SkinnedModel processor tries to processor the skeleton it throws an exception.
I never tried using a model with biped on the XNAnimation but I believe that the FBX format does not support biped, probably just ordinary bones.
Jun 14, 2008 at 3:28 AM
Theres several versions of FBX, does your code support all of them?
Also was wondering, your code looks up the root bone right? after that does it require any other naming conventions?

Thanks for your help.
Jun 14, 2008 at 6:32 AM
I've teste it with the FBX exporter that comes with Maya 2008, and the last FBX exporter (2009 version I believe).
The new version of the FBX exporter has some advantages, for example it can bake some IK transformations on the skeleton.

You don't need to follow any naming convention. When the model is exported a root node is generated, which contains all the meshes and bones. Then I just look for a bone inside the root scene node, which is the root bone of the skeleton. You will only have a problem if your scene has more than one skeleton. In this case you will have 2 root bones.