Get Solution Building out of the Box?

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:28 AM
Hi there!

First and foremost, excellent work on this invaluable project!

Secondly, I tried to build a couple of your latest (9780, 9790) and encountered a couple of problems. First problem is that 2 signing files were missing (one for x86, one for X-Box), and I had to generate them both, then change the assembly file to reflect the new strong name. There was another problem after that, so I just gave up on those builds and used the dlls that came in the third sample available from the downloads section.

Anyways, I spent a few hours only to backtrack, so that was a bummer. One thing worth considering that would solve this problem is to do this before a public commit -

1) do a non-public commit (if that's possible with the system)
2) do a clean checkout to a place on computer that's different from the place you commited from
3) see if the checkout builds cleanly the first time. If not, fix the issue(s), then go back to step 1.
4) otherwise, make the commit public

I think this would really help alot to the people trying to advantage of your excellent work!

Thank you!
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Hi,

The files that are missing are the SNK files? If yes, these files are missing intentionally. I cannot distribute them because they are used to sign the "official" version of the library and also differ it from other versions extended by the users. You can easily create them using the bats provided in the solution. 

Also when you generate new keys you do need to modify the AssemblyHelper class, and change the public key. One solution could be to remove the signing from the xbox libraries, or comment better what you need to do to check-out and compile the project.

Some weeks ago I was working on this library only from my desktop computer and only commiting things on stable releases. Right now, I'm working from my desktop and laptop so I'm needing to make some unstable commits. I will check if it is possible to make private commits on codeplex but I'm not sure about this.

Thanks for your post and all the advices! =)
Jun 15, 2008 at 12:51 AM
Oh, if you can't do a private release, is there a way to tag release as being unstable or whatever? That way the non-contributors will know which builds aren't targetted to them.

Thanks again :)
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2008 at 2:50 AM
Ok, if I can't find a way to private commit the content I will do that. Thanks.