simple animation

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM
Hello,
I am working on a RTS and I want to create simple animated object. Is is possible to use XNAnim. lib. to play animated .X file if I use use only few bones ? In 3d max 8 I created 2 small boxes, and two bones that are connected. I linked each box to one bone and animated them with keyframes. Then named animation Anim1 and exportede with X exporter. In VS i set model processor to XNAnim. lib. but there was error "Input model does not contain skeleton". Is only biped supported ? How should I insert very simple skeleton into model with max ? thanks
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Hi,
XNAnimation only supports skeletal animation, but as long as you have bones attached to your mesh it does not matter whether you use 1 or 80 bones. Also, as far as I know .X and .FBX files only support bones, so if you use biped it will get converted to bones before exporting to the X file.

The error message that you showed only appears if your model was exported with no bones. It could be a problem in the exporter that you are using, or maybe you didn't asked it to export the bones too. What exporter are you using? You can also try exporting it to FBX with the latest FBX exporter.
Jul 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM
I solved it - Skin modifier must be applied in Max, then it worked. I am using Panda .X exporter. Thanks for response.