Problems with animation splitting

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM
Hi,

first some compliments about the library. The code is very clear to read and it now also runs in my XNA 3.0 CTP project.

But I think I have found two problems with the animation splitting:

The first one is a minor one (and there is an easy solution)
During splitting the keyframe times are checked if they are within the start-end bounds.
The check also includes equal but due to rounding errors this may fail.
In fact I found it because the split did not work on my animation.
I have resolved this by subtracting/adding a small value (e.g. 0.001 seconds) from the start/end bounds.
Then it also included the last keyframe that was missing.

The second problem is not so easy to resolve.
Luckily it may not be a common problem.
The split code simply uses all keyframes within the start/end bounds.
In case those bounds are not identical with an existing keyframe the seperated clip starts late or ends to early.
This can be resolved by calculating this missing start/end keyframes (like it is done during animation).
But obviously this is not done in three lines :-(
But I asume that this is a rare case because it is very likely that you want to cut your animation at extisting keyframes
and when problem one is solved then this may not occure very often.

just my two cents :-)

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Hi there.
I`m stuck using this library`s split animation.
I`m using a model made in Milkshape 3d and exported as .fbx .
In that model I have a complex animation, and when i try to split it by creating an xml, nothing happens.
Perhaps I`m doing it wrong.
Could someone tell me how can i link the .fbx model to the xml file that I created to split the animation?
I tried using the example, but it doesn`t split the animation. Actually it ignores the xml file.

Thanks.

PS: nice work with this library.
Aug 21, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Some possible pitfalls from my experiance:

- Check to insert the name of the xml file at the properties of the processor from the fbx file
- If your cut point are between two consecutive keyframes then nothing would result (see my own problem above)
- Check the animation frame rate in the fbx file and whether your keyframe numbers in the xml file fit to that scale.

I hope this helps

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Thanks. Problem solved.. Your "pitfalls" were mine also.. :)
Coordinator
Aug 29, 2008 at 12:20 AM
Hi OldFritz,

Thanks a lot for reporting these problems. Could you add the two problems that you had reported to the Issue Tracker? Anyway, if I understand the first problem correctly it is happening because the keyframe time is rounded on a float? It is very strange because 32 bits should be enough for a keyframe time. I'm very busy now but I will check these problems as soon as I have a free time.