Model looks good in 3ds max, but is incorrect when in engine

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:38 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2008 at 9:15 PM
So this is the model, render in 3ds max, i use biped, and fbx version 200611 to export

3dsMax:
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/926/disortfz0.jpg

XNAnimation:
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4202/inxnanimationzv0.png

Can anyone help me with this? What could be problem?

EDIT: Found more:
Without ANY code changes, just by re-exporting model it sometimes exports correctly! (or there are less distortion)
I just changed frame cursor to different locations in 3dsmax and sometimes it was less dissorted, sometimes more, actually that's very pity that there are no... information about how to export correctly... no rules or things like that... what fbx version, where should be cursor, maybe more important things? x/
Sep 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM
Same happends in Maya with fbx export. Seems like the position of the timeslider determines the "neutral pose" of the model. If you export the model with the timeslider in the middle of the animation, everything will be messed up in XNA.
What I tried was starting my animation on frame 1 with the bindpose of my model and then exporting it. It works better, but its still not perfect.

Any other ideas?
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM
Cheak the model bone weights.
If the model looks good in dxviewer ,I think it will looks good in engine.
Oct 28, 2008 at 11:56 AM
hi,
what is the dxviewer?

regards.
Oct 28, 2008 at 12:09 PM
DXViewer is a utility that allows you to view .x models. It is available free of charge as part of the DirectX SDK, which can be obtained here. Make sure that you don't have 'bake mesh transforms' in the asset properties window in XNA GSE selected, although if it is not selected, try selecting it and see what the results are.

Personally, I have had a lot of problems with the .fbx format and this library. Perhaps you should try using KW-X port by Jon Watte, and exporting to the DirectX (.x) format. Bear in mind that the exporter scales models by a factor of 0.01 with its default settings.