How to export?

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Hi,

I've been trying to use XNAnimation and although it works fine with the PlayerMarine model, so far I could not get it to work with any other models I created. I'm using Maya 2009 and trying to export as FBX and I presume I must be choosing the wrong configuration. What settings should I choose to export it in a way XNAnimation likes?

As a test, all I'm doing is:

1) Import the PlayerMarine model with the run animation;

2) Make a simple change in the animation (move the root bone around);

3) Export it to FBX again.

I have played a little with the settings (always using ASCII though) but could not get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Should I try to export to .x?

Cheers,

Cesar

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I forgot to add. The problem I see is a completely distorted animation, the bones in the wrong positions (including a very funny huge neck), even though it somehow resembles the actual animation.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Hi,

allthough I mainly export via MotionBuilder (see http://xnanimation.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=54788 ), I've also had this issue (the weird bone rotation).

The solution might be, that your model needs to be in its BIND-POSE when saving out the FBX file, and not for example in an idle pose.

Hope that helps,

Christian

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Thanks for the answer. I'll try it as soon as possible and get back here with the results.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Hey, it worked! The artists are kind of offended that you have to put the model in the bind pose to export, but it worked! It IS weird, I would expect the exporter to be smart about it.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Cesar

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Glad to hear that it worked out!

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:46 AM

I'm using 3ds max for animation and modeling, have the same problem with distorted animation. Can someone help me to export my model correctly, I'm totally noob in 3ds max.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Hey man,

We used Maya for exporting, I have no clue how it works on Max. But in my case, the important thing was having the model in the bind pose when exporting, even though it is not part of any animation.

I presume the exporter considers the current position of the joints as the base, but saves the animations as if the base was the bind pose, since that's how the model was created. So if you put the model back in the bind pose, it all works.